Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Emerging from Obscurity: Reversing Ethics

Hello...I just received notification of acceptance of a paper I submitted to the Machine Ethics conference. I’m exited to present the paper and get feedback. The mission of the Machine Ethics movement is to reverse the way ethics is approached with regard to technology. Typically, ethical questions focus around how humans shape technology. So, topics consist of the ethical use of technology (e.g. privacy, hacking). In the conference, and in this paper, it is asked, “how can we place ethics into a machine?” This is important because major technological corporations are in a race to push into the home a robot capable of acting as a domestic assistant. The ethical implications will spike as robots become capable of house cleaning, cooking and baby sitting. As a result, we need to counter this increase in interactivity, power and pervasiveness with an increased ability to be more responsible, more ethical.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nomadic said...

Would the "3 Laws of Robotics" be a good place to start. Just kidding. I know its far more complicated than that.

I'd kind of like to see your paper whenever you get a chance. It sounds interesting. IF you have a full website running I'd say post it there after you have presented it at the conference.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Good suggestion. I'll post a link or copy once it's printed. Thanks.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Nano K. said...

I'm sure your NY trip proved beneficial to your work. I would like to have been a little shadow near as you were making your presentation. However, I was thinking of you and pictured the scene in my mind. I came away with a big "A+" for Christopher Cloos. Good work!

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home